Monday 30 June 2008

The Weather...

A very British subject about which to blog.


The month of June was like March or November -- until today. Thank heavens! This afternoon we’ve had sunshine, a slight breeze, and no rain.

I don’t suffer from seasonal affective disorder, but was starting to think the lack of summer was making me SAD. I need summer. Not only because the days are longer, people are happier, the countryside is gorgeous, and it’s nice to wear sandals and sunglasses … but also because it inspires me.

My novels are set in summer. And though I could turn up the heating and dress for the beach, it’s impossible to fake the smell: sunshine on moist soil, sprinkled with freshly cut grass.

However -- and perhaps because of the terrible weather -- I have written my first autumn/winter short story. And submitted it, today! In fact, this is my first short story submission. Appalling, I know. (I might be the world’s worst writer when it comes to sending out stories.)

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

The weather is just atrocious, though why we're surprised. :)

Good luck with the short story.

Fox Lee said...

You could cover yourself in bug spray, that could help!

Travis Erwin said...

Good luck with the submission.

Mary said...

Cate - I was just caught in another downpour! But as you said... :)

Natalie – LOL! I’ll try that. ;)

Travis – thank you! It’s unlike anything I’ve written before, and I was a nervous wreck when I sent it out on Monday. :)