Monday 21 January 2008

Fear of Flooding

















In January 2005, after one month’s rain fell within 24 hours, the area where I live was severely flooded. Many properties were affected, and many people’s lives turned upside-down.

This afternoon, I popped to the supermarket, about one-and-a-half miles away. It was raining, heavily.

As I wheeled my trolley towards the checkouts, two cashiers were talking. They said the main road I’d just driven down was flooded, and that my part of town was completely cut-off!

I told them that only twenty minutes ago, it was fine.

They insisted they were right. That I must have just missed it, and would not be able to get back home! And if I lived near the river -- which I do -- my house would be flooded, too!!!

They said they’d heard it on the radio. They said the schools were closing early, and their colleagues who lived in the affected areas had already rushed home.

I was skeptical. I kept my cool. Then I hit a massive traffic-jam (most unusual) and saw cars containing school children, at two-thirty in the afternoon!

The traffic was crazy.

But the roads were open.

There was not even a puddle in front of my house!!!

What a bizarre afternoon.

2 comments:

Barrie said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. :)

And I'm glad your house was safe and sound. What a fun blog you have. I must poke around!

Mary said...

Barrie -- thanks for popping in!