Wednesday 21 January 2009

As Seen from Space

Though I wasn’t in Washington yesterday, shivering in the open air -- and just as I was coming to terms with how ridiculously healthy I must be, seemingly immune to the bugs and flu that, in recent weeks, have plagued almost everyone I know -- I’ve caught a nasty, stinking cold.

As a result, I’ve spent too much time today clicking through vast swathes of coverage of the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States. And I confirm that, like almost everyone on the planet, I love the Obama family. I particularly love that Michelle, Malia, and Sasha dressed in such wonderful colours. Individually, each looked great, and collectively it was a confident, contemporary palette that spoke for who they are.

But it’s always a good idea to switch the lens and view events from a different angle -- especially events of great historic significance.


Click on the photo for a bigger and better view.

Putting a sci-fi spin on the proceedings, this photograph shows how the inauguration, and the 2 million who came to hear Barack Obama speak, looked to those in space. More like swarms of bees than people.

And it left me wondering: If we are not living in a giant cosmic hologram, deep inside a black hole, then most aliens, who may have an entirely different concept to ours of scale, size, and shape, might think us an utterly insignificant race; miniature Lilliputian people of no consequence whatsoever.

Most probably, that is why they have neither landed on Earth nor taken the time to contact us. The first move will have to be made by us tiny, ant-like humans. And not until we develop an advanced global space programme, and venture into galaxies unknown, will we ever find the answer to the age-old question: Are we alone? ;)

8 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Swarming ants give me the shivers!

Mary said...

It’s scary! From a distance that’s just how we look.

Whirlochre said...

I pity the stranded Microscopians, trapped in Obama's left eye trying to find their way back to their homeland in his right.

Mary said...

Good point, Whirl! They are in a terrible predicament.

Cate Gardner said...

They look like huge mounds of soil to me.

Mary said...

Cate - that’s even worse. ;)

Anonymous said...

"...aliens... might think us an utterly insignificant race; miniature Lilliputian people of no consequence whatsoever."

Heck, I was born here and I think of us like that a lot of days...

Btw, I find your blog quite "dillise."

(I'm on a roll. Three word verifications in a row are apparently trying to make words. I believe this one would be of French derivation...)

Mary said...

Paul - I wonder what has happened to all the gobbledegook verification words. They seem increasingly rare. Perhaps, spending so much time in the blogosphere, the verification words have gained a better understanding of what makes a real word, and are now gradually upping their game. I find this current phase of their development quite wonderful. Words such as dillise (which perfectly describes the sushi I just devoured) are so playful! :)