Friday 4 January 2008

Horses & Ponies






I should have blogged about this sooner, when it wasn’t last year’s news!

I’m a fan of local newspapers. One of my favourites is The Keswick Reminder (it inspired the newspaper in my novel). When I first saw it, I couldn’t believe it: eight pages, no colour, heavier paper than regular newsprint. I'd include a link -- but they don't have a website.

I love things in miniature, and I also love horses. So this story in The Cumberland News about the surprise birth a Falabella foal, just days before Christmas, warmed my heart. (No, I'm not afraid to be syrupy!)

I would love to have been one of the children in the photo. How wonderful for a five-year-old to stand face-to-face with a horse, then actually bend down to stroke the foal. When I was five, ponies were HUGE!

And I’ve decided; when my dreams come true and I have a house with a field, I will own two of these miniature horses.

It will be an ideal world, so... I think I’ll also buy a Fell Pony!


2 comments:

John said...

You'll have a lot of mucking out!

Mary said...

My daydream didn’t take that into account, John. AND I’d have to muck-out in the freezing cold.

Perhaps I’ll just get a dog!!!